Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tomato Horn Worm

Well last night we were outside looking at our beautiful plants. Well they really are not that beautiful now but they were. Anyway, we were feeding our fish and looking at the plants and my husband pointed out to our son this worm that was on my tomato plant. I have been waiting for this tomato plant to get a flower or some sort of sign that it was going to produce at least one little cherry tomato for me. But nothing, not one little stem or anything. Now if you know me you know the ONLY thing i cant kill is a Hosta. So I have done really well this year with helping my husband water our flowers and keeping them alive. My mother in law gave me this start to the tomato plant and i wanted to teach my son about the whole growing your food and then eating it. Well this plant was a dud, at least i thought. After a quick phone call to my aunt who raises butterflies i knew she would know what kind of worm/caterpillar i had hanging on my plant. Actually there were 3 of them. So she told me that they are Tomato Horn Worms and TO GET RID OF IT!!!! So I tried like crazy to take them off the stems, let me tell you those little things hold on! So i got all 3 off and put them in the woods. So we'll see if anything happens to my plant now. Who knows, little guys probably did their damage already! So here is one of the worms i had to remove!




(they have a scary horn on the back)

1 comment: